Clean-up Reinstall

Today I noticed that I had a lot of files from the gvfs package in my
cygwin installation.  Cygcheck -c showed that gvfs wasn't installed.
That was strange.

It seems that when uninstalling a bunch of packages a long time ago*,
a lot of files were left behind.  Not just config files, which would
be expected, but EXEs and DLLs.  So it seems that when some things were
uninstalled, they weren't.  (* I removed X, since I was never using it.
Probably also some other things.)

As a test, I did a new install in a non-standard directory, copying over
/etc (so setup could find /etc/setup/install.db), /home, and /usr/local.
My old installation took up 2.8G and had 120k files.  The new install
had 15k files occupying 400M.

So my question is this.  Is there a recommended way do a clean-up
reinstall?  I suppose that my real question is what directories need to be
copied from the old to the new besides /etc, /home, and /usr/local?  Also,
are there any files in those directories that should not be copied over?

Please excuse me if this is already in the archives, but I couldn't find
anything that addressed this exact point.

Thanks for your help,

- Barry