Re: Relationship between Cygwin and Cygwin Ports

On 10/8/2012 12:34 AM, David Stacey wrote:

Hi.

Earlier this evening I submitted an ITP for yasm. I didn't realise at
that point that yasm was available in Cygwin Ports - which means that I
have probably just trodden on Yaakov's toes, and for that I apologise.

Please could someone kindly explain the difference between Cygwin and
Cygwin Ports. Why are they kept separate, and under what circumstances
could a package migrate between the two? Apologies if I should know
this, but there doesn't appear to be mention of it in the Cygwin FAQ.

Many thanks in advance for clarifying this,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Cygwin Ports is the personal effort of one of main Cygwin
package maintainers  to provide additional packages.
He usually provide/test new version not ready or with additional
requirement than packages available in Cygwin, but also a lot of other
packages in addition at his mainstream effort:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

No problem to migrate a package assuming someone takes ownership
of the package in Cygwin as maintainer.
I took several of Yaakov's packages and adopted mainstream in the past,
usually checking/reusing what Yaakov already did.

No need to cancel your ITP.

Regards
Marco