Cygwin utilities don't echo last input character in ssh session

I have a Cygwin expect script that prompts for username and password.  It
works fine when I am on the local Cygwin system, but not when I ssh into the
same system.  In the ssh session, if the user enters "abcd" for username,
only "abc" is echoed.  The full username is actually entered, but it is
confusing to the ssh user to only see the partial echo of what they typed.

The same occurs in a simple Cygwin bash shell script that does a echo/read
to prompt for and receive a username.  It works fine locally, but does not
echo the most recent input character when invoked via ssh login to the same
system.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.