Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

On Oct  9 23:32, julien2412 wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote
> > On 10/9/2012 4:51 PM, julien2412 wrote:
> >> Anyway, I noticed that with regtool, everything was ok.
> >> Is "regtool" the recommanded way to access (in read only) registry keys?
> >> And
> >> so we should avoid to run things like this Perl script line:
> >> open($fhandle, "/proc/registry/$key") )
> >
> > Whichever works. ;-)
>
> With admin rights, whichever works.
> With no admin rights, regtool is the only to access any registry keys.
>
> 1) Why with no admin rights, ls /proc/registry doesn't map all the keys?
> After all, the goal is just to read only
> 2) Is there a way to have access to any registry keys without admin rights
> and without using regtool?

If you could show us examples, we might even be able to look into
this problem, *if* it is a problem.  I just tried the following on
Windows 7 as an UAC-restricted admin:

  $ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/ | wc -l
  149
  $ regtool list /HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft | wc -l
  149
  $ reg query HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft | wc -l
  149   <--- This is wrong!  It only shows 148 entries, the first line of
             output is empty.

And this is under a fully enabled admin shell:

  $ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/ | wc -l
  148
  $ regtool list /HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft | wc -l
  148
  $ reg query HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft | wc -l
  149   <--- Actually 148, as above.

The difference is an entry called "AudioCompressionManager", which
is only visible when running UAC-restricted.  Note that this entry
is not visible when using the Windows reg tool at all, and it's also
invisible in regedit.

Now, if you could give us some details from your side, we might be
able to see a pattern.

Corinna

Red Hat