Bold color in "cygwin bash shell"

Hi,

For various reasons, I cannot switch to rxvt or similar, and am stuck
using the cygwin bash shell (which runs on top of the dos cmd window).

Here, the background color defaults to black and foreground to light.
I reversed this using the dos window -> Properties -> Colors.

However the bold color does not change. This causes for example man pages
to be displayed badly (light text on light background).

Is there anything that can be done to change the bold color? I searched
on this mailing list and found just one similar question from 10 years
ago which was unanswered:

Hopefully someone can help. Thank you.

saurabh