Re: Bold color in "cygwin bash shell"

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 01:04:02PM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Saurabh T wrote:
For various reasons, I cannot switch to rxvt or similar, and am stuck
using the cygwin bash shell (which runs on top of the dos cmd window).

Here, the background color defaults to black and foreground to light.
I reversed this using the dos window -> Properties -> Colors.

However the bold color does not change.  This causes for example man
pages to be displayed badly (light text on light background).

Is there anything that can be done to change the bold color?  I
searched on this mailing list and found just one similar question from
10 years ago which was unanswered:

Found this nice tip but haven't tried it myself.

http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/less-colors-for-man-pages/
This talks about using termcap but less doesn't use termcap.
Hmmm... I tried it and I got grey backgrounds on some of the things in the man page. Ugly looking but it does seem to have some effect...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more. - John Prine