Re: Using tar to run backups onto a tape device using cygwin

On 10/18/2012 4:45 PM, srikant veeraraghavan wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to write few backups using the tar command onto a tape
drive which is zoned to my Windows server.
The Carts have been loaded on the tapes on which I need to run the backup.
I found the tape Symbolic name from the Device manager tab. And this is the
command that I used.

tar -cf \\.\Tape0 /cygdrive/c/StratfordData

Where Tape0: is my tape drive.
/cygdrive/c/StratfordData is my source.
When I run this command I do not get any error message, but nothing is
written.

what about mt package ?

"This mt is designed to be used on Cygwin only.  It knows about
the special tape information given only in the Cygwin case."