Re: startxwin.exe only primary monitor

On 20/10/2012 01:29, Lukas Haase wrote:
> How can I tell startxwin.exe that the whole XWin system shall only use
> the primary monitor?
>
> I use my tablet PC with tablet function as secondary monitor while
> working on the primary (also with X forwarding). As soon as I use X, the
> stylus stops working on the secondary monitor (although the cursor works
> as normal). Selecting "show root window" reveals that both monitors are
> covered by the root window, most probably causing the problems.

If the stylus stops working for all applications, not just Xwin, I would
suggest this is likely to be a bug elsewhere.

If the root window covers the entire virtual desktop when -nomultimonitors is
passed, that is a defect.

If that is the case, can you run the server with -logverbose 3, and describe
the Windows monitor sizes and positions you have, please.

> I already tried passing "-- -nomultimonitors" but with no success.

The server option -nomultimonitors should be the correct way to achieve this.

Note that the combination '-multiwindow -nomultimonitors' perhaps shouldn't be
allowed, as it doesn't work the way you might be expecting.  You can move the
native windows containing X windows off the primary monitor because no special
constraints are applied on their positioning.  However, they only have useful
contents for that area which intersects the primary monitor, which looks
rather odd.  See [1] for a rather acrimonious discussion of that issue.

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-07/msg00002.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer