Re: real beginer

On 10/25/2012 1:02 AM, René Berber wrote:
On 10/24/2012 6:02 PM, Trixie wrote:

Yes i found it later. It works fine i think.
Tomorrow I'll try configuring with --enable-cuda-gpu

You need NVIDIA drivers for an NVIDIA card that supports CUDA, plus their libraries, and probably their development environment. I don't think it will work with the version(s) of gcc used in Cygwin.

On Windows, the nVidia CUDA C compiler (nvcc) uses cl.exe[1], not gcc, but you can download that as part of Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop 2012[2]. The CUDA SDK is reportedly[3] compatible with VS 2012 already.

Since nvcc uses GCC on Linux, it *may* be possible to arm-twist it into using GCC under Cygwin. The CUDA APIs are C-based, not C++-based, so the ABI should be compatible.

A hybrid approach may be possible. You might be able to install Visual Studio and ignore its IDE, keeping it around purely so nvcc can find cl.exe, and do everything from within Cygwin. You might even be able to link the resulting object files to Cygwin GCC-compiled object(s), producing a Cygwin executable. I expect getting this to work will be somewhere in difficulty between getting a purely Cygwin GCC toolchain to work and using the pure Visual Studio toolchain, and closer to the former than the latter in difficulty.

Trixie, if you want to continue this topic on this list, you'll need to take one of those latter two paths. But, as a "real beginner," I think you'll find it a lot easier to go down the pure Visual Studio path, at least until you start acquiring clues. ;)

[1] http://goo.gl/uhZWd [2] http://goo.gl/i76AO [3] http://goo.gl/Av3Ae