Re: Emacs crashing on C-x C-g

On 10/24/2012 5:26 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
On 24/10/2012 5:01 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 10/24/2012 9:09 AM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
On 01/10/2012 4:08 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
 > On 01/10/2012 3:07 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
 >> On 10/1/2012 2:51 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
 >>> I'm hitting a strange behavior with emacs lately, where hitting
 >>> C-x C-g [1] sometimes causes it to quit instantly: no request to
 >>> save files, no seg fault, no error message, just gone (have to
 >>> reset the terminal to clear out emacs' ncurses settings). It
 >>> invariably happens after I've been away from the terminal for a
 >>> while (days) and then come back use it again.
 >>>
 >>> has anyone else had this happen to them?
 >> I haven't seen it, and I do leave emacs running for days or weeks.
 >> But I almost always run emacs under X, not in a terminal. Also, I
 >> generally use the latest Cygwin snapshot.  Have you tried that?
 >> Maybe you're being bitten by the /etc problem that Corinna fixed in
 >> late July (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-07/msg00666.html).
 > OK, I'll give the snapshot a try when I get a chance.

Rats. I thought it was working, but the problem just it again. This time
the emacs session had just been created by a mercurial check-in (to edit
the changelog message) and crashed when I hit C-g to cancel an ESC I no
longer needed.

This time the crash is reproducible, and the test case below paints an
"interesting" story:

EDITOR='emacs -q -nw' hg ci
ESC C-g
<<<crash>>>
reset
<<<"reset is control-G (^G).">>>
EDITOR='emacs -q -nw' hg ci
C-g
<<<"interrupted!">>>
reset -i ^c
<<<no message>>>
cat
C-g
<<<"Quit (core dumped)">>>

This looks like a known Emacs issue:

I imagine it will be fixed before the release of Emacs 24.3.
Agree the initial part is emacs. But I suspect the confused bash
business is not. ^G should either send SIGINT or not, this core dump
thing is not cool.

Do you know whether this is Cygwin-specific? Have you checked to see what happens on Linux?

Ken