Re: How do I change the default home directory after I fire up cygwin?

On 1/22/2013 8:31 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Yves!

I start up cygwin and do pwd, and this is my home directory.
$ pwd
/cygdrive/h
But, I don't want it to be in /cygdrive/h.  So, what gives?  I've run the
mkpasswd command like so (while in my /home/<my name> directory):
mkpasswd -l -p "$(cygpath -H)" > /etc/passwd
At that point, I close my cygwin window and open it again... and same thing
when I run pwd.  How do I make cygwin think and start in /home/<my name>?
I've even mucked with the /etc/passwd for my user account and STILL no
result.
Very confused...
Check the contents of your $HOME variable.
Yes, check the contents of your $HOME environment variable as set in Windows (not Cygwin) by looking at My Computer: Properties: Advanced: Environment Variables. Check both User and System Environment variables sections (user will override system). It is common in corporate environments to use the H drive to point to some remote file system that gets mounted at boot time. That's your real home directory and often the same home directory you'll use on Unix/Linux machines should your company have any of them. Sharing a home directory is a good thing.

As for /etc/password and /home/<userid>, what I usually do is figure out what this H drive points to and then add something like the following to /etc/fstab and do a mount -a:

and make sure your line in /etc/passwd sets your home directory to /home/<userid>. In this manner everybody's happy and no matter which architecture you're on (Windows/Linux/Solaris/etc) home is always /home/<userid>...

There's no place like $HOME... :-)
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
This space for rent