Re: sshd service will not start on Windows 7

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM, misterblinky <misterblinky@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So ... a) cyg_server *is* in the Administrator group in Windows; and b) I ran the editrights commands just in case. Same deal. "CYGWIN sshd service could not be started".
>
> Oddly, "groups cyg_server" returns "None root" -- cygwin doesn't think it's in the administrator group.
>
> thanks for your thoughts ... any further suggestions?

The mmc "Event viewer" under the label System should give you more
information about the offending service. If you installed cygwin and
then created the user cyg_server, then you should check if it's
available in /etc/passwd (most probably it's there). Can you start the
process by issuing the command '/usr/sbin/sshd'?, the problem with
/var/empty is because of this
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-02/msg00437.html, you need to change
permissions to all those folders.

Also, you don't need to reinstall sshd at every attempt, you may use
"cygrunsrv --remove sshd"

Regards