Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

On 2/5/2013 10:48 AM, jeremycraven wrote:
I am just reinstalling cygwin on a fresh install of XP on a rather old laptop
with Avast as virus software.

It is absolutely crawling at the texlive postinstallation stage - stuck
showing 24-25% for at least half an hour now. I was about to give up but
googled "cygwin install hangs texlive-collection" and was surprised to
actually hit something so will leave it to run over night.

The texlive-collection-* postinstall scripts have to do a lot of work, and it takes time. You didn't say which of these packages you've installed. There are almost 100 of them, and most TeX users only need a few. See the announcement at

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-07/msg00013.html

for some advice.

There is no /var/log/setup.log etc that I can see yet ( only an empty file
setup.log.postinstallXa03208 in C:\cygwin\var\log).

The log files will be available when setup.exe finishes. Please look at them and see if there's anything interesting to report.

I can confirm kpsewhich.exe is taking most of the CPU.

Not surprising.

Ken