single point of failure: server machine for setup.exe

hello there,

a few years ago the cygwin team announced a change:

start of this week i tried to only update a slightly older install of cygwin
from the existing mirror system using my (renamed) setup-1.7.9-1.exe.
unfortunately it turned out that the mirrors are no longer compatible
with that version and the update attempt using my local setup failed.

then i went to the web looking for an updated version of setup.exe.
i first checked the mirror servers - but no setup.exe there - nowhere!
anyone was only pointing to cygwin.com with a certain path for the
download of the quite needed current version of setup.exe.

what shall i tell you? the whole domain was not reachable
and i could not get ayn response from any web server out there.
hey, i searched the web and its really not possible to get such a file
other than from the original location - server down - cygwin install impossible.

(okay, i then found this location that did the job for me:
	ftp://ftp.ges.redhat.com/private/releng/cygwin-1.8/
and i used the file "rhsetup.exe" from this repository.
i stored the file to my machine and then name it: rhsetup-2.774.exe)

some two days later the cygwin site was up again
but whats left over is the really uncomfortable feeling
that the dis-appearance of a single server on the web
is able to kill a whole FS/OS project - if the people of the
project have decided to not share their installers on the mirrors.

you rellly got what i was telling you? tons of mirrored data
were rendered useless to the world due to the fact that
a single initial or key element was missing from the web.

regards, Alex.

PS: you might want to CC me in responses as i'm simply not subscribed to the cygwin list.