Re: cp "skipping file ..., as it was replaced while being copied

On Apr  8 17:01, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 3/29/2013 4:36 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> >On 3/29/2013 4:25 PM, Bill Priest wrote:
> >>#3 I saw lots of complaints and responses for requests for drive info;
> >>but I never saw an explanation of why this checking is being done.
> >
> >I haven't looked at the code like you have but I believe this is to
> >avoid the case of the file being copied onto itself.
> >

> FWIW, I am also seeing this problem, on a remote share (not "ftp")
> mounted to a drive letter, or via its UNC path.  I've worked around
> the issue by using rsync to copy the file, rather than cp (rcp and
> scp also fail).  I'm not sure what rsync does differently, but it
> works.
>
> user@machine /k/path $ cp bob fred
> cp: skipping file `bob', as it was replaced while being copied

cp checks the inode numbers before and after, and it seems the inode
numbers on this drive are not persistent.

> [...]
> user@machine /k/path $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /k
> Device Type        : 7
> Characteristics    : 10
> Volume Name        : <programs10>
> Serial Number      : 2684354574
> Max Filenamelength : 255
> Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
> Flags              : 4004e
>   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : FALSE
>   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
>   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
>   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
>   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : TRUE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
>   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
>   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
>   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
>   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
>   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE
>
> user@machine /k/path $ mount -m
> C: /c ntfs binary,posix=0 0 0
> F: /f netapp binary,posix=0 0 0
> H: /h netapp binary,posix=0,user 0 0
> K: /k cifs binary,exec,posix=0,user 0 0
        ^^^^
Drive K: is not recognized.  It's *some* drive, claiming to be NTFS, but
not being NTFS, and the rules to recognize Samba drive don't match either.
What kind of drive is that?

Apart from that, try to mount the drive with the ihash mount option.
Does that help?

Corinna

Red Hat