Re: Compiling deja-dup

On 4/30/2013 11:47 AM, Maarten Jacobs wrote:
Thanks! Helpful hints. After posting initially I progressed a little further. I'm starting on my own "cheat sheet" but wanted to share a few observations that may be of use to someone who travels the same road I'm going down.

1. Make sure your path does not include " ". Some of the packages I
tried  to compile from source failed with funny errors eluding to "Files/Windows"
(obviously "Program Files/Windows") - once I updated my Path to not include
references to "Program Files" those errors went away.

I assume you meant "Program Files" in your opening statement.  Your solution
works.  The alternative is to quote the internal paths with spaces or
otherwise escape the spaces.

3. Most of the source I worked with came from
ftp://cygwin.org/pub/cygwinports/release-2/GNOME, as it turned out a very
good source of CygWin packages - including a few that not appear on Cygwin's
setup (such as libpeas that I have not been able to find)

More than "a few" packages in Cygwin Ports are not in the official
distribution. :-) They can all be installed with 'setup.exe' if you add the
path to the Cygwin Ports repository to 'setup.exe' though.

5. A number of my problems were caused by the fact that I was building
my  source on a network drive (as my home directory happens to be located on a
share). My experience shows that building on the local machine works a lot
better. I think it has something to do with symbolic links not working right
on network shares (or is that just Samba network shares?)

Permissions are more problematic on your typical network share.  If you can
avoid them, that makes things easier, yes.

If anybody believes this compiled version of deja-dup would be share

Is it really different from the one on Cygwin Ports?  Regardless, if you
want to provide it as an official package for Cygwin, read through
<http://cygwin.com/setup.html> and in your ITA/ITP, just ask Yaakov if
he minds you picking up this package and its dependencies from him.

--
Larry