This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: problems with installing cygwin on windows 7
- From: Ryan Johnson <ryan dot johnson at cs dot utoronto dot ca>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 15:03:44 -0400
- Subject: Re: problems with installing cygwin on windows 7
- References: <20130503010717 dot GB677 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <1367562326 dot 41379 dot YahooMailClassic at web163901 dot mail dot gq1 dot yahoo dot com> <CAN4-eHJK_mX-ZcptuCD34Fm5fTfp5Ov825X5gNFAq_KAhHpz6Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 03/05/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Thompson wrote:
P.S. I have had to run "rebaseall" each time I do an install or
upgrade over the past year.....not sure why as this never used to be a
That's very strange, because setup.exe started running rebaseall
automatically just over a year ago .
You shouldn't need to run rebaseall these days unless you compile your
own .dlls and want them to play nice with the rest of the system.
Please see: http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall It is only a 5
minute process once you have the correct instructions.
Where "correct" means "accurate" and "up to date?***"
Please don't use those instructions, even if they are a the very top of
the Google listing for "cygwin setup rebaseall."
First, rebaseall runs automatically as part of setup for over a year now
. Second, rebooting into safe mode to stop cygwin services borders on
downright silly. Third, you don't need to be Administrator to run rebase
unless you messed with file permissions in really weird ways. Fourth,
somebody *is* working on a 64-bit port of cygwin; it mostly works at
this point, and somebody posted about using it just today in fact .
*** but then again, the official documentation at
/usr/share/doc/rebase/README still says:
... but at least it doesn't tell you to reboot into safe mode as part of
Note that rebaseall is only a stop-gap measure. Eventually the rebase
functionality will be added to Cygwin's setup.exe, so that rebasing will
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple