This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Clean install, incomplete setup - no home dir, broken PATH
- From: Daniel Davis <red dot sivad at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:47:11 -0700
- Subject: Re: Clean install, incomplete setup - no home dir, broken PATH
- References: <CA+7NHMbGcn5jXPk-pTfOkpffxpi6qzo0yCWJVSTz0Qys=F_r_A at mail dot gmail dot com> <518D7C51 dot 3020403 at cygwin dot com>
> If you suspect a scripting issue and you're using 'mintty', you can invoke
> it this way to see where the scripts might be going wrong:
> mintty /bin/bash -i -l -x
> Otherwise, you can just invoke 'bash' directly from a command prompt with
> the line above minus the 'mintty' bit.
Thanks for the tip Larry. Invoking mintty with "/bin/bash -l" is a
perfect workaround so far. Sometime later I'll look for the mintty
source code and try and figure out why mintty isn't running "bash -l"
It seems possible that the install is working just fine but something
in my environment is confusing mintty. In a vanilla install, is the
home dir created on first invocation (ie, running /etc/profile for the
first time) or is it supposed to be created as part of the install
Thanks again for the help - I'll post back if I find anything more conclusive.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple