This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Including full path to shared library in the executable file
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:58:13 -0400
- Subject: Re: Including full path to shared library in the executable file
- References: <CALgEz7rPZLJmg6nBacALfvdhkRUT5st+hMEciSuQd9y46xRuYQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALgEz7qWEicXk5SQAbYuoiK-7PEeq-HRAJ59Gwt=kVzjKL9RTw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALgEz7p9EUX5XevA6mGk9c6JN_x0u0Jb1Cswi9-J20TDKvey=Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130522084711 dot GU2406 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:47:11AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On May 21 21:43, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
>> > My question is whether there is a way to include the full path to the .dll
>> > while creating the .exe - much like how cmake "link_directories" or
>> > "target_link_libraries" allows you to - for e.g. on Linux (an ldd on the
>> > executable file shows the full path to the .so file and thus
>> > precludes the need to explicitly set LD_LIBRARY_PATH). While this is not a
>> > cmake question (or a cmake mailing list) if you have experience solving
>> > this problem using cmake, would appreciate those insights as well.
>> I found this while looking for cygwin RPATH:
>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2007-October/017267.html. Perhaps
>> the lack of RPATH support on Windows/Cygwin is the reason?
>RPATH is an ELF feature. Full paths to DLLs are not supported by the
>PE/COFF executable format. Also, Cygwin DLLs are still loaded by the
>Windows loader, so POSIX paths won't work, and full Windows paths won't
>make much sense, given that Cygwin is not always installed into
>The solution for this would be an ELF loader in Cygwin and a Cygwin
>linker which produces ELF DLLs by default. But that's quite a big
>project on its own and nobody seemed to have fun, time, or money, to
So, maybe *next* Thursday then?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple