Re: Shadowcopy volume block devices

On May 28 18:21, Micky wrote:
> Seems like the latest Cygwin made some progress in automounting and
> accessing the VSS volumes. i.e. under
> /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy
> But it doesn't let you access the volumes as block devices. The w32
> name space paths like "\\.\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy" can be accessed
> at cmd.exe but not in Cygwin.

This is kind of mind-boggling.  If you knew that you could access
HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy using the POSIX path

why didn't you try to use the POSIX path as device name in a call to the
POSIX tool dd, rather than translating it into a Win32 path?  It's clearly
marked as block device in the directory listing:

  $ ls -l /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
  brwxrwx--x 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0, 250 May 28 15:31 HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1

and here's what I get when running od -c on it as admin:

  $ od -c /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1 | head -1
  000 353   R 220   N   T   F   S                  \0 002  \b  \0  \0

Red Hat