Re: Shadowcopy volume block devices

On May 29 11:14, Micky wrote:
> > That's not what you wrote in your OP.  You wrote "but it doesn't let you
> > access the volumes as block devices", which is pretty misleading as far
> > as bug reports go.
>
> Sorry for not being clear enough.
>
> > The endless loop problem accessing the device via /proc/sys/... should
> > be fixed in CVS now.
> >

> Thanks for such an instant fix.
>
> > I created a new developer snapshot.  Please give the 2012-05-28 Cygwin
> > DLL from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ a try.  I also created a new 64
> > bit test release Cygwin package 1.7.19-8 with this patch included.
>
> I am gonna test it out soon and will report back.

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Btw., as a sidenote, are you aware that you can access the filesystem
underneath the volume shadow copy as well?

Try this (note the trailing backslash!):

  $ cd /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1/
  $ ls

The only downside is that you can't cd into the root dir of the
shadowcopy by using a ".." expression:

  $ cd /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1/Users
  $ cd ..
  /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1: Not a directory.
  $ cd ../
  /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1: Not a directory.

Here the path handling strips off the trailing backslash and what's
left is a block device called /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1.
With that in mind, it's quite usable, though.

Corinna

Red Hat