Re: ASLR breaks cygwin

On Jun  6 11:06, Warren Young wrote:
> On 6/6/2013 10:52, Dan Kegel wrote:
> >
> >I wonder if we could get them to recognize the parent-child
> >relationship somehow, and keep the same address space
> >in the child.
> >
> >Just kidding.   Hell would sooner freeze over.
>
> I don't know about that.  For a long time, they had a bigger
> conflict of interest with Cygwin due to SFU/SUA/Interix and the
> POSIX subsystem. They announced SUA's doom a couple of years ago[1]
> and the need for a separate native POSIX API is gone[2].  I even
> recall reading on this list that Microsoft now recommends Cygwin, at
> least unofficially.
>
> Perhaps Microsoft now has some incentive to create a native fork(2)
> like call in their OS that Cygwin could use.  (Or something close
> enough, like Linux's clone(2).)

The problem is not the call.  Such a call exists, since Vista even
one with very simple usage.  The problem is that this call has
been created for SUA, and some Win32 libs as well as the console
subsystem don't work with this call because there never have been
made provisions for a fork call in the Win32 libs.  Chances for
a change are rather low.

Corinna

Red Hat