Re: autoreconf/gettext puzzle (was Re: sed match DOS end of line)

On Jun 27 17:51, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 27 10:42, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> > On 2013-06-27 09:49, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >Ok, here's me, even more puzzled.  FIW, the 4.2.2 packages have *not*
> > >been built the same way as the 4.2.1 package.  The difference is running
> > >autoreconf (4.2.2) vs. not running autoreconf (4.2.1).
> >
> > Were these natively compiled or cross-compiled?  The latter pulls in
> > gnulib functions in place of libc's (Cygwin) without intervention
> > during configure.
> >
> > >If I build sed with the auto configury unchanged, I'm back to an sed
> > >which handles the CR just as the old sed 4.2.1 package:
> > >
> > >   $ sed --version | head -1
> > >   sed (GNU sed) 4.2.2
> > >   $ od -c eol
> > >   0000000   e   n   d   o   f   l   i   n   e  \r  \n
> > >   0000013
> > >   $ sed 's/e$/X/' < eol
> > >   endoflinX
> > >
> > >However, 4.2.2-1 and 4.2.2-2 packages have been built running autoreconf
> > >first, which, besides other things, updates the included gettext stuff
> > >from version 0.17 to version 0.18.1.
> > >
> > >So I'm wondering if the latest gettext is the culprit here, but I'm not
> > >fluent enough in the differences within gettext to see where the problem
> > >is.
> >
> > I doubt it; as long as libintl is dynamically linked, the gettext
> > build infrastructure just handles .po.mo rules.
>
> Yeah, I seem to be entirely on the wrong track, sorry about that.
>
> I'm just inspecting the sources and it seems that the read mode of
> files has changed from "rt" to "r" between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 for some
> reason.
>
> I'm still digging, and I'm unsure how I could create a version of
> sed 4.2.2 which did the right thing at all a couple of minutes ago.
>
> Still digging...

I have no idea how I screwed up so badly while testing.  It was actually
just a missing "t" flag in a call to fopen which has been lost between
4.2.1 and 4.2.2.

I just uploaded and announced 4.2.2-3 which should fix this issue, and I
sent the patch upstream.

Corinna

Red Hat