Re: emacs very slow; zombie processes eventually cleared

On 7/3/2013 2:51 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

On 7/2/2013 11:41 AM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
When I start emacs I get this message:
(emacs:192): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

Are you saying that this happens every time you start emacs?  Does it
even happen when you start with 'emacs -Q'?  If not, maybe you could
do some testing to figure out what in your initialization (including
X11 initialization) triggers it.  This might help to pin down the bug.

I think I might have mentioned once before when you wrote about zombie
processes that there is a known problem in emacs-24.3 that can cause
problems with subprocesses.  This is caused by race conditions between
emacs and glib.  The problem has recently been fixed on the emacs
development trunk.  If you'd like, I could build emacs from a snapshot
of the trunk and let you test it to see if some of your problems go
away.

Ken

Yes, please, I think I have been bouncing off of this myself lately...

OK, I've built bzr revision 113271 and uploaded it to my personal Cygwin repository:

  http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/

There are instructions on that page for installing it. Please let me know how it works. I'm especially interested in knowing whether it solves some of the problems with zombie processes that have been reported.

Ken