Re: setup-x86_64: postinstall errors: Package bash 1, Package a2ps 2 and xinit 134

On 7/23/2013 12:40 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 2013-07-22 19:52, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
Postinstall errors:

Package: xinit
     xinit.sh exit code 134

This is from a SIGABRT in mkshortcut.  Chuck?

From xinit.sh:
	/usr/bin/mkshortcut $CYGWINFORALL -P .....
where $CYGWINFORALL is probably -A

This is the same bug as this one:

I never replied directly to that message (I was still AWOL at the time), but I later referenced it here:

I believe your report has to do with error handling when attempting
to modify the All User's Desktop, when you don't actually retain the
elevated permissions necessary to do so.

However, mkshortcut shouldn't *hang* in that case, so it's definitely
mkshortcut bug. I just haven't had the cycles to track it down and
fix it. PTC...

...and that's still true. Is there are way for setup.exe to delegate its elevated credentials down to /bin/bash, and thence to mkshortcut.exe? Otherwise, even the *fix* for this bug will just make it not hang or crash; it will still fail to modify the all-users start menu/desktop.

Do we need to extend setup.exe *itself* to accept instructions from packages somehow (maybe in the setup.ini?) so that setup.exe *itself* can do some of these privilege-requiring tasks?

--
Chuck