Re: checkX problem or misunderstanding

On 8/3/2013 4:54 AM, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
Re: checkX

   $ checkX --version
     run2 0.4.2

checkX doesn't work as I understand the description below:

"DESCRIPTION
        Determines  if  X is installed, Xserver is running on specified DISPLAY
        and will accept clients. Returns 0 if yes, nonzero otherwise"

Environment / Procedure to duplicate the error:

  - I have an X11 server running, started in pty0, where I will test checkX

  - In this pty0, I start an X11 server, which from the xinitrc starts up another mintty
     terminal, pty1 with Display environment variable set to :0

  - Testing checkX in pty1 (which has DISPLAY set) returns a 0 or successful result.
    checkX :0  --> returns 0

  - Moving back to pty0 and running the same command with the same argument gives:
    checkX :0  --> return 1 and error condition or no server available.

However, if I simply manually set DISPLAY=:0 in pty0   X11 clients will run.

-  export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
-  checkX :0  --> Nnw reports an o.k. this server is useable.

If one relied on checkX the runing server would be missed.  It is doing
nothing that a check if DISPLAY var is set or not andn then possible
testing it.  It should has used the value :0 I sent it and do some X11
stuff I am not aware of.

Perhaps we're misunderstanding your confusion here.  Can you explain what
about Chuck's description of checkX at the link below isn't clear?

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00009.html>

--
Larry