Re: mt and tar fail on LTO-5 drives

On Aug 20 16:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 20 16:06, bartels wrote:

> > >Glad to read that.  You could do me a favor, though.  At the moment I
> > >have no tape drive on any Windows machine for testing.  Can you please
> > >test the new `partseek' command in mt 2.4.0 which I announced a couple
> > >of minutes ago and see if it does what it advertises in `man mt'?
> > >

> > Sure. How long does it take to propagate to the mirrors?
> > All I see is 2.3.3.1
>
> Depends on the mirror.
>
> > And would that be experimental, or current?
>
> 2.4.0 is current now.

Never mind.  With a lot of help by my collegues big in virtualization,
I managed to set up a Windows VM with access to the SCSI tape drive in
the host machine.  The partseek command works as advertized, apparently.

However, while testing I found that the mkpartition command didn't work
due to a bug in Cygwin.  So you can use partitioned LTO tapes, but you
can't partition LTO tapes(*) with Cygwin up to and including the current
release 1.7.24.  I fixed that in CVS so that will work with the next
Cygwin release.

Corinna

(*) Actually, what doesn't work is creating two partitions on tape
    drives supporting initiator partitions (like DDS, LTO, SLR).  What
    does work is creating a single partition on such drives, or to
    create one or two partitions on drives only supporting fixed
    partitions (like older SLR).

    This bug is present since 2004 and nobody noticed it.  I guess that
    means there aren't many people out there actually partitioning their
    tape drives...

Red Hat