Re: Fwd: INFO issues [partially SOLVED]

NOTE: I'm replying from the digest, so in case the list does not hook
up the appropriate reference pointers, here they are:

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM, <cygwin-digest-help AT cygwin DOT com> wrote:

> From: Ken Brown <kbrown AT cornell DOT edu>
> To: cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 20:29:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: Fwd: INFO issues
> On 9/2/2013 11:36 AM, Thiers Botelho wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm a new user of CygWin and a former user of some Linux distros.
>> I'm having the following issue with the 'info' command:
>> thiers@Win-Samsung ~
>> $ info
>> info: dir: No such file or directory
>> I did some searches, but really... searching stuff where 'info' is the
>> keyword is bound to, and DOES, return a lot of useless 'info'...
>> I've searched the CygWin mailing list; what I've got is the
>> not-so-clear suspicion that I need to 'install' something. Here are
>> the closest leads I've got - they're 13 years old:
>> ### this guy had the same issue I'm having.
>> ### then this guy suggested running some kind of hand-made script (not
>> really meaningful to me) around the install-info command (which indeed
>> exists in my CygWin folder)
>> ### and this other guy suggested using command 'gen-dir-node' (which I
>> didn't find in my CygWin build).
>> So what I'd like to know is, are there any clear instructions
>> somewhere about how to make the 'info' command work properly under
>> Cygwin ??
> There's a postinstall script called '' which is supposed to get run automatically by setup.exe to create the info directory.  If this didn't happen for some reason, you can run it manually.  (Look for it in /etc/postinstall.)  In case you don't have it, here are the contents:
> #!/bin/bash
> rm -f /usr/info/ /usr/share/info/ /usr/info/dir /usr/share/info/dir
> for d in /usr/info /usr/share/info; do
>     for f in $d/*; do
>         case "$f" in
>             *\**)
>                 ;;
>             */dir|*/*)
>                 ;;
>             *-[0123456789]*)
>                 ;;
>             *)
>                 install-info --quiet $f /usr/share/info/dir ||
>                 install-info  --quiet --entry="* $f ($f): $f" $f /usr/share/info/dir
>                 ;;
>         esac
>     done
> done >/dev/null 2>&1
> Ken

Thx a lot Ken - that did it. INFO command now works properly !

And now that begs a follow-up question...

After some digging around about how the post-install scripts work in
CygWin, and doing some complementary testing, it seems that, every
time that CygWin Setup runs, the script will be run once and then
renamed with a '.done' suffix. So that, if I want the script to run
every time that Setup runs, I have to remember to manually rename it
back to '.sh' after each setup run, which is, erm, sub-optimal.

Any ideas about getting around this repeated manual renaming ???

Thx and cheers