Re: Fwd: INFO issues [partially SOLVED]

NOTE: I'm replying from the digest, so in case the list does not hook
up the appropriate reference pointers, here they are:

1. http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00024.html
2.http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-09/msg00031.html

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM, <cygwin-digest-help AT cygwin DOT com> wrote:

> From: Ken Brown <kbrown AT cornell DOT edu>
> To: cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 20:29:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: Fwd: INFO issues
> On 9/2/2013 11:36 AM, Thiers Botelho wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a new user of CygWin and a former user of some Linux distros.
>>
>> I'm having the following issue with the 'info' command:
>>
>> thiers@Win-Samsung ~
>> $ info
>> info: dir: No such file or directory
>>
>> I did some searches, but really... searching stuff where 'info' is the
>> keyword is bound to, and DOES, return a lot of useless 'info'...
>>
>> I've searched the CygWin mailing list; what I've got is the
>> not-so-clear suspicion that I need to 'install' something. Here are
>> the closest leads I've got - they're 13 years old:
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00005.html
>> ### this guy had the same issue I'm having.
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00126.html
>> ### then this guy suggested running some kind of hand-made script (not
>> really meaningful to me) around the install-info command (which indeed
>> exists in my CygWin folder)
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00184.html
>> ### and this other guy suggested using command 'gen-dir-node' (which I
>> didn't find in my CygWin build).
>>
>> So what I'd like to know is, are there any clear instructions
>> somewhere about how to make the 'info' command work properly under
>> Cygwin ??
>

> There's a postinstall script called 'update-info-dir.sh' which is supposed to get run automatically by setup.exe to create the info directory.  If this didn't happen for some reason, you can run it manually.  (Look for it in /etc/postinstall.)  In case you don't have it, here are the contents:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> rm -f /usr/info/dir.info /usr/share/info/dir.info /usr/info/dir /usr/share/info/dir
> for d in /usr/info /usr/share/info; do
>     for f in $d/*; do
>         case "$f" in
>             *\**)
>                 ;;
>             */dir|*/dir.info*)
>                 ;;
>             *-[0123456789]*)
>                 ;;
>             *)
>                 install-info --quiet $f /usr/share/info/dir ||
>                 install-info  --quiet --entry="* $f ($f): $f" $f /usr/share/info/dir
>                 ;;
>         esac
>     done
> done >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Ken

Thx a lot Ken - that did it. INFO command now works properly !

And now that begs a follow-up question...

After some digging around about how the post-install scripts work in
CygWin, and doing some complementary testing, it seems that, every
time that CygWin Setup runs, the script will be run once and then
renamed with a '.done' suffix. So that, if I want the script to run
every time that Setup runs, I have to remember to manually rename it
back to '.sh' after each setup run, which is, erm, sub-optimal.

Any ideas about getting around this repeated manual renaming ???

Thx and cheers

Thiers