RE: cannot run setup64.exe without admin privileges (even if renamed foo.exe)

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) sent the following at Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:42 PM
>UAC Installer Detection only affects x86 binaries, so that only helps
>with setup-x86.exe.  As for setup-x86_64.exe, its builtin manifest
>requires Admin privileges because otherwise it won't promote itself
>automatically, and most people install Cygwin for All Users.

Correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to ask!), but my impression is that the
only thing for which setup for 'Cygwin for All Users' currently needs admin
privileges is to create shortcuts in "C:\Users\All Users\Desktop" and
"C:\Users\All Users\Start Menu" (or wherever they point to).

It seems to me that what people who want to install 64bit Cygwin must do is
to install 32 bit first, then compile setup, then install 64 bit.  If that's
what I'll have to do, I'll probably stick with 32 bit for as long as possible

That seems like a lot more bother than creating some shortcuts.
(Where "bother" = "bother_to_an_individual" X "number_of_individuals".)

(As for "most people install Cygwin for All Users", how could one possibly
know?  And there's a difference between installing for all users and needing
to do so.  I don't have admin privileges, but if I did I would have
installed for all users.  And no one else uses my machine and no one in my
office has any idea how to use my scripts, let alone use Cygwin to do
something by themselves.)

So this is a plea* that the setup process be designed to be as friendly as
possible for those without admin privileges.  Change setup.exe's name to not
have "setup" or "install".  (I nominate "getcygwin".)  Would providing two
versions of setup-x86_64.exe that differ only in the manifest be burdensome
to the maintainers?  Etc.

* not a request

Thanks for considering this.

And thanks to everyone for their contributions to Cygwin.

Best wishes,

- Barry