This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Clearing the buffer after quitting LESS, MAN, VIM etc.
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:58:59 -0500
- Subject: Re: Clearing the buffer after quitting LESS, MAN, VIM etc.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <loom dot 20131231T025559-913 at post dot gmane dot org> <8545c95dp8ns21seorjf67o4eueglcarsk at 4ax dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 10:50:29AM +0100, Bengt Larsson wrote:
>Dawid Ferenczy wrote:
>>The only difference (or one of few) was in the display size. The old laptop
>>has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, while the new one has
>>1920 x 1080. And I'm using the whole screen for the terminal window. It's
>>really strange, but if the terminal window height is greater than
>>cca 62 lines, the screen buffer is cleared after quitting the LESS, VIM
>>etc. No matters if Cygwin is executed inside the ConEMu or plain cmd.exe.
>>Making the terminal window smaller solved the problem. Window height
>>of 62 lines seems to be fine for me. Also, with some of greater height
>>values, the LESS/VIM process sometimes crashed.
>There does seem to be a problem with the Windows console. I have 64 bit
>Windows 7, and when a console window height*width is bigger than about
>16384, it starts clearing the window after "less". This is running
>"less" from the Windows shell. Not only does it clear the screen, it
>clears it to black, even though I have a different background color.
>With mintty and bash it works for me at least up to 383 rows and 1364
That's because mintty uses entirely Cygwin mechanisms and the console
uses Windows. Windows has a limitation which we didn't know about.
I'll fix this in the next couple of days.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple