Re: problem -- cygwin doesn't allow remounting of root; running 32-bit progs from 64-bit cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 1/13/2014 9:04 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
So how can can I get mount to allow me to remount root -- i.e.:
/usr/bin> mount C:\\ /
mount: warning: couldn't determine mount type.
mount: /: Operation not permitted

Have you referred to the Users Guide on this topic?
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table>
The relevant portion is here:

  A correct root directory is treated as an immutable mount point
... unless you use the override flag in the options field in /etc/fstab.
---
I read the man page, and saw the "override" flag and /tried/ it, interactively,
and got the same error message as above.

It wasn't clear on the manpage that the override flag only worked in /etc/fstab,
though I can understand why this would be the case.

Thanks for the tip!