Re: How to remount hotplugged USB drive as noacl (for use with rsync)?

Greetings, carolus!

>> Change the /cygdrive entry in /etc/fstab
>> Then you'll get normal Windows permissions everywhere, except, perhaps, the
>> Cygwin root.

> Is this what you mean?

> none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user,noacl,override 0 0

No need for override. This is how I have it set (I prefer just /<drive_letter>
over /cygdrive/<...>):

none    /       cygdrive        binary,posix=0,noacl    0       0

> Is this a "good thing" to do?  I find the following advice from the FAQ
> intimidating:

>   Therefore, the root directory evaluated by Cygwin itself is treated as
> an immutable mount point and can't be overridden in /etc/fstab... unless
> you think you really know what you're doing. In this case, use the
> override flag in the options field in the /etc/fstab file. Since this is
> a dangerous thing to do, do so at your own risk.

You're not remounting the Cygwin root. This paragraph does not apply here.
However, there's a section explicitly dealing with caveats of using cygdrive
prefix http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive

> Will this affect my permission-dependent stuff like ssh authentication?

No, it won't and actually there's little possibility it could, assuming you
already have sane permissions on respective directories.
In case of SSH keys handling, it's smart enough to check possible issues
against real ACL's.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...