Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

On Feb 19 23:19, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>
> >> Setting
> >>
> >> db_enum: local
> >>
> >> seems to be really destructive.
> >> I'm not good at reading straces, so... Can I make a useful trace for your
> >> inspection?
> >> So far, I'm unable to start anything with freshly rebuilt Cygwin1.dll
> >> if db_enum set to local. Even uname -a crashes.
>
> > The last one is weird since uname doesn't call getpwent.
>
> That's what was my thought, too. Because (un)setting it back cures the crash.
>
> > Anyway, with more help from Denis Excoffier I think I got it.  I'm
> > just building a new snapshot which should be up in half an hour or so.
> > Please give it a try.
>
> Looking into it now.
> Doesn't crash or anything so far. (With `db_enum: local' set.)
> Tried a few utilities, as well as your example get*ent code.
> BTW, can we have it as one "getent"[1] tool for the next release?
>
> Going to play with different settings, I will post if I find anything
> unexpected.
>
> [1] http://linux.die.net/man/1/getent

That sounds pretty much like the tool we need to be able to get rid of
the `grep /etc/passwd' stuff we have in some of the service configuration
helper scripts.  Unfortunately it's a glibc tool so we probably have to
create our own.  For a start it would suffice to support only passwd
and group databases.

Corinna

Red Hat