Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

On Feb 27 12:54, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > 1 second?  That sounds still a bit slow.  Considering that I'm now
> > member of 414 groups, and you are member of 440 groups, the extra number
> > of groups cannot account for that.
> >
> >  This sounds surprisingly as if the
> > names of some of your groups are not cached on your machine.  Or
> > something.  Or is this a rather slow machine?!?
>
> It's not a slow machine by any means, but it certainly gets its fair share
> of security policies, so it may have something to do with that.  I don't know.
>
> > Still, it seems like the right thing to do to drop the group name
> > configuration stuff entirely.
>
> Yes (unless you'd want to make it configurable like the getpwent stuff).

Nah, not really.  As I said, I'm questioning some of the old functionality
anyway, and the less we have to ask AD the better for us.

I applied my patch which removes this group name change facility from AD
and uploaded a new snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/.

While we're at it, I just had this weird idea.

What if, as soon as the first Cygwin process in a process tree starts,
this process not only caches the primary group info, but also caches all
supplementary groups from the user's token?  This would slow down
startup of the first process slightly, but it would speed up any
subsequent request for group information of a group in the user's token.
An `id' call would be almost instant, and `ls' calls would probably be
faster as well.

As always, there's a trade-off: Users running cygwin processes from CMD
a lot would encounter a slowdown.

What do you think, guys?

Corinna

Red Hat