Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port

Erwin Waterlander wrote:
Hi,

The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.

I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
in handling man pages in different encoding.

Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
ported, because man-db uses it.

I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?

regards,

Erwin

I downloaded the latest version of libpipeline. It builds fine, but all the tests fail with the following error: /usr/src/ports/check/check-0.9.10-1/src/check-0.9.10/src/check_run.c:431: Error in call to timer_create: Invalid argument

So, I downloaded the source for check. The version of check that we have is a little out-of-date, but at a first glance, the code for timer_create looks okay to me.

Hmmm...I built check using the cygport file and then went into the tests folder and did a "make check" there. 5 of 6 tests failed and with that exact same error.

The version of check we have is 0.9.10 from April, 2013. The ChangeLog for 0.9.11 from November of 2013 contains the following:

	Wed, Nov 4, 2013: Released Check 0.9.11
	  based on r856 (2013-11-04 02:09:21 +0000)

* Check compiles for Windows using the Cygwin environment, and all unit tests pass.

There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.

It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.

--
Chris J. Breisch