Re: Trouble with running cygwin dll on Vortex86MX+ CPU

On 4/2/2014 5:03 PM, Colin wrote:
> Hi Team,

Team?   This is a user's forum.

[snip]
> The problem I have can be reduced to this: I compile a simple "Hello
> World" console mode c program. I copy the .exe file and cygwin1.dll onto
> an embedded PC, open a console window, and run the program. The program
> runs, and returns immediately to the command prompt, with no output. No
> error messages, no nothing...

What you usually do on those cases:

1. On the build host, run ldd (or cygcheck) on the program, see the full list of dynamic libraries used.

2. Try to do the same on the target host. Yes, ldd does depend on cygwin1.dll, so it may not run. cygcheck doesn't depend on the cygwin1.dll .

> I can do the same on any desktop PC running Windows XP, or 7, my "Hello
> World" runs as expected.

For completeness sake, you mean a PC where Cygwin has not been installed?

> The embedded PC is currently running a full installation of Windows XP
> Professional, SP3. It does so quite happily. It's CPU is DM&P Vortex86MX+
> 933MHz. I am able to run a "Hello World" program compiled with a native
> Windows compiler on it successfully.
>
> In discussing this with the embedded PC supplier, he suggests that the
> cygwin1.dll is exiting because it doesn't recognise the CPU. Is this
> explanation plausible?

I don't know, but I doubt it. As long as it is compatible with the Intel x86 architecture, and Windows is a "complete" version, it should work.

> And if it is, is there a solution available, or
> must I give up on using cygwin for this application?

Cross-compilation from Cygwin to Win32 (MinGW, MinGW-w64) is still possible, just needs a different set of tools which are available in the Cygwin distributed packages. Actually is a better option in your case, unless you really want to use a long list of libraries which may not be ported to Win32, or build programs intended for Unix/Linux.
--
René Berber