Re: setting cygwin terminal (mintty) title from a very remote system

On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 14:19 -0400, David Conrad wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:13:07PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> >>
> >> echo -ne '\e]0;Title\a'
> >>

> > [The] title will stay the same if something intercepts that sequence, and it
> > will probably appear to stay the same if something resets it immediately
> > (many Bash shell prompts do just that).
> >

> The fact that something else might reset it *immediately after* you
> set it is really important. It can make it look like something you are
> trying doesn't work **when it actually does work**.

I agree, but I'm quite sure that's not my problem.  I only have the
problem inside emacs (usually inside screen, but it doesn't seem to
matter).  The title I'm seeing is from a different system, earlier in
the ssh chain.  I tried it (using ], not [) and it didn't work; instead
some characters appeared in the emacs window.  I also checked PS1 and
COMMAND_PROMPT; neither was generating any special characters.  Setting
COMMAND_PROMPT to the echo command simply puts the characters in front
of the command line.

Ross