Re: fstat st_size on open files on Parallels filesystem is wrong

On Tuesday, April 22 2014, "Corinna Vinschen" wrote to "cygwin at cygwin.com" saying:

> On Apr 21 14:46, lennox at cs.columbia.edu wrote:
> > On Monday, April 21 2014, "Andrey Repin" wrote to "lennox at
> > cs.columbia.edu, cygwin at cygwin.com" saying:
> >
> > > Greetings, lennox at cs.columbia.edu!

> > > You never flushing the buffer in your test code, or I'm reading it wrong?
> >
> > This is using Posix APIs -- open() / write() -- not C APIs, fopen() /
> > fwrite(), so there shouldn't be a buffer?  Notice that the test behaves as I
> > expect for a file on NTFS.
> >
> > Adding a call to fsync() prior to the fstat() call doesn't change anything.
>
> This is actually a bad sign.  The problem you're describing occurs on
> NFS, too.  If you write to the file, a subsequent call to fetch stat
> attributes does not return the actual size of the file, but the size at
> the time the handle has been opened.
>
> However, on NFS, a call to FlushFileBuffers helps to kick stat back into
> shape.  That's the Win32 function called from fsync as well.  What is
> Cygwin supposed to do if that doesn't work?

Okay, interesting further investigation.

The Parallels filesystem appears to work correctly when I repeat the test
case using Windows kernel32 APIs -- specifically, FileInformationByHandle --
so something's different between the kernel32 APIs and the ntdll APIs that
Cygwin uses.

Sample code for Win32 test attached.  Works identically with Cygwin, MinGW,
or Visual C++.

Just spitballing here, but -- I see that cygwin's file_get_fnoi function
(which is where fhandler_base::fstat_by_handle gets its size parameter)
tries NtQueryInformationFile(FileNetworkOpenInformation) before
NtQueryInformationFile(FileStandardInformation).  Is it possible that the
Parallels filesystem isn't filling out all fields of that API properly?  Is
there a straightforward way I could debug this?

$ ./stat-size-test.exe '/cygdrive/z/foo'
/cygdrive/z/foo: fstat: st_size=0
/cygdrive/z/foo: stat: st_size=12

$ ./win32-size-test.exe 'z:\foo'
z:\foo: FileInformationByHandle: nFileSize=12

$ mount
C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
S: on /cygdrive/s type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
U: on /cygdrive/u type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
Z: on /cygdrive/z type prlsf (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <inttypes.h>

#if __LP64__
#define PRI_DWORD "u"
#else
#define PRI_DWORD "lu"
#endif

static const char* geterr(DWORD err)
{
	static char msg[1024];

	FormatMessage(FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM | FORMAT_MESSAGE_IGNORE_INSERTS |
		FORMAT_MESSAGE_MAX_WIDTH_MASK, NULL, err,
		MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT),
		(LPSTR)msg, sizeof(msg), NULL);

	return msg;
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	int i;
	int status = 0;
	for (i = 1; i < argc; i++) {
		HANDLE file;
		DWORD err, bytesWritten;
		BY_HANDLE_FILE_INFORMATION fileInfo;

		file = CreateFileA(argv[i], GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_WRITE,
			NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL);
		if (file == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
			err = GetLastError();
			fprintf(stderr, "%s: CreateFile: %s (err %" PRI_DWORD")\n", argv[i],
				geterr(err), err);
			status++;
			continue;
		}

		if (!WriteFile(file, "Hello world!\n", 12, &bytesWritten, NULL) ||
			bytesWritten != 12) {
			err = GetLastError();
			fprintf(stderr, "%s: WriteFile: %s (err %" PRI_DWORD ")\n", argv[i],
				geterr(err), err);
			CloseHandle(file);
			status++;
			continue;
		}

		if (!GetFileInformationByHandle(file, &fileInfo)) {
			err = GetLastError();
			fprintf(stderr, "%s: GetFileInformationByHandle: %s (err %" PRI_DWORD ")\n",
				argv[i], geterr(err), err);
			CloseHandle(file);
			status++;
			continue;
		}

		printf("%s: FileInformationByHandle: nFileSize=%" PRIu64 "\n",
			argv[i], (uint64_t)fileInfo.nFileSizeHigh << 32 | fileInfo.nFileSizeLow);

		if (!CloseHandle(file)) {
			err = GetLastError();
			fprintf(stderr, "%s: CloseHandle: %s (err %" PRI_DWORD ")\n", argv[i],
				geterr(err), err);
			status++;
			continue;
		}