Re: No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?

Greetings, ben modra!

Please don't top-post and teach your mail reader to properly handle
"References" or "In-Reply-to" headers.

>>> Hi,
>>> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
>>> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
>>> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.
>>>
>>> Its a work pc, which means I have little control over the system, and
>>> it has been meddled with quite a bit.  Running XP.  It quite common
>>> for this to happen on installing software, and I usually just make a
>>> desktop shortcut. Must be unusual for others because I can't find any
>>> reference to it in the archives.
>>>
>>> Can you please tell me how to run cygwin without the shortcut?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> I make shortcuts to /cygwin/bin/bash.exe and /cygwin64/bin/bash.exed (I have
>> both). Perhaps there is a better way to do it, but that works for me,

> I thought there must be more to it than that - if I run bash.exe then
> nothing works. Even basic commands like cygcheck and ls return
> 'command not found'.
> Other ways to start also fail, eg startxwin.exe then a window opens
> and immediately closes.

> The setup log seems fine to me (no errors) but I don't really know
> what to look for.

You can always re-run the setup and ask it to create shortcuts anew without
installing/updating anything, and check the log more closely.
Perhaps it is trying to write to AllUsers profile, which is not accessible,
unless you have admin rights.
Try starting setup with --no-admin switch.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...