Re: Microsoft Accounts (was Re: Problem with "None" Group on Non-Domain Members)

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> I toyed around with the Microsoft Account a bit more.  And here's why
> the primary group SID being identical to the user SID is not a good
> idea:

>   Security checks.

> For instance:

>   $ echo $USER
>   VMBERT8164+local_000
>   $ screen
>   Directory /tmp/uscreens/S-VMBERT8164+local_000 must have mode 700.

> Huh?

>   $ ls -l /tmp/uscreens/
>   total 0
>   drwxrwx---+ 1 VMBERT8164+local_000 VMBERT8164+local_000 0 May  7 12:44 S-VMBERT8164+local_000

> Uh Oh.

I concur.
But mostly because of blind check "if it's not 700, it's wrong".
No, it's not wrong, you dumb piece of code, it's your check isn't right.

> This will be a problem with other security sensitive applications, too.
> Sshd comes to mind.

> So I guess we really should make sure the primary group SID is some
> valid group, not the user's SID.

> "None" is not an option since it's not in the user token group list.

> "Users" seems to be the best choice at first sight.

For local SAM account.

> Alternatively we could use the S-1-11-xxx SID of the Microsoft Account.
> That would be in line with the idea to have a user-specific primary
> group.

For M$ accounts, perhaps.

> Thoughts?

I'm with you on this one.

P.S.
When you said I can set up a primary group for my account in SAM database,
what did you mean? The <cygwin/> magic or something more system-specific?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...