Re: Microsoft Accounts (was Re: Problem with "None" Group on Non-Domain Members)

On 5/8/2014 7:17 PM, Robert Pendell wrote:
On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On May  7 16:46, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On May  7 10:09, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
And here's a problem which I'm not sure how to solve at all:

When calling the latest mkpasswd, the primary group of the local
user account backing the Microsoft Account will *still* be "None".

The reason is that the local account is just the same old account
as usual.  Its default primary group *is* "None".

Only when logging in via the Micosoft Account email address, the
user token will not reflect what's stored in the local SAM, but
will have been changed by the OS as outlined in this thread.

So, when a user decides to create a passwd file rather than using
the SAM/DB code in Cygwin, the information generated by mkpasswd
will not match the user token, and the primary group stored in
/etc/passwd will not even be available at all in the user token.

I have not the faintest idea how to workaround this schizophrenia.

Corinna

Oh wow. It took me two reads of this to understand it. Caffeine is
finally kicking in, I guess. Unless you just want to hard code the
primary group that mkpasswd generates to "Users" for any account
that it would tend to want to set as "None". That would be some
smelly code though.

Hmm, but it might fix a couple of problems.  If we go ahead and
always convert the "None" primary group to "Users", we'd have a
pretty stable state, which works nicely for local accounts,
independently of habving logged in as normal account or as Microsoft
Account.  This might be the easiest workaound, in fact.

I created a new snapshot on http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ which
introduces the following behaviour, which is a bit less intrusive:

If a local account is connected to a Microsoft Account, the primary
group defaults to "Users".  If it's a normal local accout it defaults
to "None", as usual.  This also covers mkpasswd from the snapshot.

This does not work if you continue to use an already existing
/etc/passwd file.  I have no good solution for this sccenario, other
than a (yet to be written) FAQ entry.

Hope that helps nevertheless.

Corinna

Thanks for all the effort you have put forth on this issue Corinna.  I
checked the snapshot today and found the behavior to be matching what
you described.  An expected side effect right now is that old files
still have the group SID set to the user SID as well as all the other
installed files placed by the OS however there isn't much we can do
there beyond changing the group manually for the files.

On that note I used the larger inst package (to get updates to
mkpasswd and the like) and noticed that there is a /usr/lib and
/usr/bin folder with the updated files however cygwin mounts /lib and
/bin on top of the respective folders making any files installed there
inaccessible in a normal cygwin run.

This doesn't happen if you install the snapshot by the method suggested in the FAQ:

  http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.snapshots

Ken