Re: Emacs daemon exit with clients

On 5/14/2014 1:27 AM, Arthur Tu wrote:
I installed the latest 24.4 pretest version. I didn't do experiments
on v24.3 on cygwin.
$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.3.90.1

Problem reproduced by these steps:

1. "emacs -q --daemon"    to open a daemon
2. "emacsclient -c"     to open a client
3. "Ctrl+x Ctrl+c"        in client window to kill the client
4.  "emacsclient -c"      open another client successfully
5. "Ctrl+x Ctrl+c"        in client window to kill the client again
6. "emacsclient -c"      the server is not there any more, client won't start

However, on debian(testing) with emacs24.3.1, I can perform step 2 and
step 3 as many times as I like. The server won't shutdown without
commands.

Also, I replace "emacsclient -c" with "emacsclient -c test" and
"Ctrl+x Ctrl+c" with "Ctrl+x #" respectively, and observe the same
behavior.

Is this a bug?

Yes. I assume you're running emacs-w32.exe. I can reproduce the problem with that build, but not with emacs-X11 running under X11. And it doesn't happen if you start the server by `M-x server-start' in an existing emacs session; it's specific to `emacs --daemon'.

I'm copying Daniel Colascione, the author of emacs-w32 (a.k.a. the cygw32 build of emacs). Daniel, can you help?

Ken