Re: Installing a program as a Windows service on Windows 8.1

Greetings, Nick Urbanik!

> I have written a Perl program that I want to run as a service on
> Windows 8.1.  However, when I type:
> cygrunsrv -I NAME -p /path/to/NAME

> Note: NAME has execute permissions, and can be run.

> I get the error message:
> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenSCManager: Win32 error 5:
> Access is denied.

> I am doing this from an account that is shown as "Administrator".  I
> am not very familiar with Windows; I only use it to solve problems
> that other users of it are having.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

That's not enough. Even "administrator" don't have full rights by default.
You have to run this command from elevated prompt.
Be aware though,  that I've encountered an issue with Win8, where ANY service
I install that is not standard, turn into "manual start" and no longer run
until someone log in to the system.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...