Re: "warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10"

On 19/06/2014 06:23, Charles Walrus wrote:
Hello sorry to bother.
I did research, could not find relevant support for this problem, so I
am coming to the mailing list as last ditch.

Hi Charles,
welcome here

Here's the problem: When I try to use plot in octave, I get the
following output:

Is it a specific plot command or just a generic

x=1:10; plot(x,x)

?

"warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
... [repeated roughly 100 times]
warning: could not match any font: *-normal-normal-10
warning: ft_render: unable to load appropriate font
panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Aborted (core dumped)"

Then it quits octave and returns me back to the terminal.
I am using Cygwin on a Windows 8 system.

cygwin 32 or 64 bit ?

I am using octave 3.8.1.
It doesn't seem to be that I'm missing any critical files because I do
have etc/fonts.conf where it should be.

the file should be in
etc/fonts/fonts.conf

however fc-list will show you the full list of installed and
recognized fonts

> But honestly I have no clue
and it doesn't seem like anybody else is having this specific problem.
Most other people who received the double warnings seemed to have
additional errors and path configuration errors that provided some
information. Any help is greatly appreciated, and, though I have done
a lot of research already, I hope that this hasn't already been
answered.

Thank you
aWarmWalrus

--

could you please follow

specially at the
"Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be easily viewed. "

this will give us a view of your system status

Regards
Marco