Re: Simplify AD integration?

On Jul 31 23:06, Christoph H. Hochstaetter wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Default is 'auto':
> >
> >    builtin accounts;   "+SYSTEM", "+LOCAL", etc.
> >    primary domain      "corinna", "cgf", ...
> >    other domain:       "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda"
> >
> >  If set to 'primary':
> >
> >    builtin accounts;   "+SYSTEM", "+LOCAL", etc.
> >    primary domain      "MYDOMAIN+corinna", "MYDOMAIN+cgf", ...
> >    other domain:       "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda"
> >
> >  If set to 'always':
> >
> >    builtin accounts;   "NT AUTHORITY+SYSTEM", "BULTIN+LOCAL", etc.
> >    primary domain      "MYDOMAIN+corinna", "MYDOMAIN+cgf", ...
> >    other domain:       "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda"
>
> >1. Shall we remove the leading '+' from the builtin account names
> >   or shall we keep it?
>
> None of these three seem correct to me. It should be:
>
> builtin accounts;   "NT AUTHORITY+SYSTEM", "BULTIN+LOCAL", etc.
> primary domain      "corinna", "cgf", ...
> other domain:       "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda"

The prefix-only variation for builtin and well-known acocunts is what's
originally used by SFU.  I cloned that behaviour as it seemed to have
advantages handling getpwname/getgrnam calls.

> Windows treats "NT AUTHORITY" and "BUILTIN" as foreign domains like DOMAIN1
> and DOMAIN2 in Win32 APIs that use a single string for domain and username,
> e.g. lpServiceStartName in CreateService. Examples:
>
> ".\user1" - can be uses as a shortcut for "MYDOMAIN\user1"
> [...]

The Windows ".\" prefixing is not at all utilized inside Cygwin.  It has
nothing to do with how the prefixing is evaluated.

> This should be at least configurable thru
> db_prefix even though most users might not want to see names like " NT
> AUTHORITY+SYSTEM " in ls -l.

That's what you get with db_prefix "auto" or "primary".

> >2. Shall we stick to '+' as the separator char or choose another one?
> >   If so, which one?
>
> Yes "+" is well known for that purpose in Linux and other Unixes. Keep
> db_separator in /etc/nsswitch.conf if possible
>
> >3. Shall we keep the `db_prefix' variability or choose one of
> >   the prefixing methods and stick to it?  If so, which one, auto,
> >   primary, or always?
> See above
>
> >Bonus question:
> >
> >4. Should Cygwin downcase all usernames when generating the Cygwin
> >   username
> I prefer downcase. Other users probably will not. So db_username_downcase =
> true/false would be great.

Sigh.  YA setting.  I was trying to *simplify* the stuff and reduce
variability since that stuff only complicates the code for... what
gain?

Corinna

Red Hat