Re: Simplify AD integration?

On Jul 30 20:43, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 30 12:10, Eric Blake wrote:
> > [resend; apologies for the encryption snafu]
> >
> > On 07/30/2014 07:47 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > >   Default is 'auto':
> > >
> > >     builtin accounts;   "+SYSTEM", "+LOCAL", etc.
> > >     primary domain      "corinna", "cgf", ...
> > >     other domain:       "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda"
> > >

> > > Also, the leading '+' for builtin accounts results in some downsides,
> > > one of them for instance the fact that `chown +x' assumes that x is a
> > > numerical uid or gid.  Thus `chown +SYSTEM ...' fails.  On the other
> > > hand it simplifies the account handling inside of Cygwin.
> >
> > I'm really worried about the leading + thing.
> > [...]
>
> Good points.  I might have overvalued the gain of easily recognizing
> builtin accounts by the leading '+' separator.
>
> Big, big, hmmmmm,  *thinking*...

I just uploaded a new snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

This snapshot contains only a single change:  It drops the prepended
plus entirely,  So the builtin and well-known accounts are now called as
familiar: SYSTEM instead of +SYSTEM, Administrators instead of
+Administrators, etc.

The documentation doesn't reflect this change yet, but I will fix that
pretty soon.

As for other changes, I'm still not sure since we seem to have as
many different opinions as interested community members :}

I would still like to drop the db_prefix and db_separator settings and
just stick to the setting called "auto":

    builtin accounts;   "SYSTEM", "Administrators", etc.
    primary domain      "corinna", "yaakov", ...

This is typically all you see on non-domain machines.  On domain
maches, add this:

    other domain:       "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda"

(local SAM accounts are subsumed under "other domain" here).

Would anybody have really terrible problems with this approach?
If so, what problems?

Corinna

Red Hat