Re: Basic question about cygport

On 08/04/2014 09:55 PM, Richard Troy wrote:

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Steven Penny wrote:
On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
Advice provided through third-party channels is likely to be erroneous.

(Sorry Richard, I added Yaakov's response above back in so I could make a
 comment about it in context.)

Generally speaking, this list tends to frown on folks using sources for
Cygwin information other than the Cygwin site and this list.  The reason
is simple.  The Cygwin site is the place that provides resources about
Cygwin for Cygwin users, including this email list.  It is where many
Cygwin experts "hang out". It makes sense that if someone is looking for
some information about Cygwin, going to the site that distributes it and
consulting the experts there is likely to get one more and better
information than consulting other, unrelated sites and sources.  That said,
there are certainly other sites, like Stack Overflow, that attract
knowledgeable Cygwin users.  Given that, it's always possible and perhaps
even likely that the information elicited from other sites about Cygwin is
useful, helpful, and correct.  There have, however, been times in the past
where this hasn't been true and consumers of this third-party information
have subsequently come to this list looking for further help after following
some incorrect information from other sites.  The long-standing view of
the Cygwin list supporters has been simply that this list cannot possibly
maintain or support all the various sources of Cygwin information that
exist on the many sites out there.  We must, therefore, strongly recommend
consulting the Cygwin site and list for all things Cygwin, as this is what
we _can_ support.  This is our attempt to minimize any incorrect information
out there from propagating and causing confusions.  We try to make our
intent on this subject as clear as possible whenever misinformation is
brought to our attention to avoid further confusion.  With some luck,
I've done so here.

Please note, none of the statements I just made are an attempt on my part to
change Yaakov's words or opinions, whether his response above represents
the totality of his view on this subject or not.  His words are his own and
I respect that.

<snip>

Thankfully, the "rough attitude"
is not held by everyone, though it sometimes has been seen in people who
carry platinum watches - and that might encourage its continuation...

I like platinum watches.  Platinum watches are friends of mine.  You sir,
are no platinum watch.

:-D

(I'm afraid I'm dating myself with my "artist's interpretation" of this
 quote -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you%27re_no_Jack_Kennedy#Transcript).

<snip>

--