Re: cannot display man page for /bin/passwd

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:
> On Aug  4 13:48, Doug Henderson wrote:
>> When I try to display the man page for /bin/passwd, the man page for
>> the openssl passwd subcommand is displayed.
>>
>> It appears that both the package containing /bin/passwd, and the
>> openssl package place the passwd.1.gz file in the /usr/share/man/man1
>> directory, so that only the man page from the most recently installed
>> package is displayed.
>
> No, the Cygwin passwd tool has no man page.  The documentation is
> only in the User's Guide:
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#passwd
>

> Corinna

My apologies if this is a transitional problem related to the recent
changes to the /etc/passwd file, but â

Attached is a short script to demonstrate the problem I described.
cyg-passwd.sh (attached with a .txt exension), will pause 3 times
while you run setup-x86_64.exe to 1) install pending changes and make
sure cygwin-doc and openssl are installed, 2) reinstall cygwin-doc, 3)
reinstall openssl.

Attached is the output from my short script.

Attached is the output from cygcheck -svr.

With 30+ years experience on *nix systems, the man page is my first
stop for usage details on any program.

I believe this problem should be directed to the attention of the
openssl package maintainer.

Thanks for your continued attention.
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada