Re: cannot display man page for /bin/passwd

On 08/05/2014 11:09 AM, Doug Henderson wrote:
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:
On Aug  4 13:48, Doug Henderson wrote:
When I try to display the man page for /bin/passwd, the man page for
the openssl passwd subcommand is displayed.

It appears that both the package containing /bin/passwd, and the
openssl package place the passwd.1.gz file in the /usr/share/man/man1
directory, so that only the man page from the most recently installed
package is displayed.

No, the Cygwin passwd tool has no man page.  The documentation is
only in the User's Guide:
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#passwd

Corinna

My apologies if this is a transitional problem related to the recent
changes to the /etc/passwd file, but …

Attached is a short script to demonstrate the problem I described.
cyg-passwd.sh (attached with a .txt exension), will pause 3 times
while you run setup-x86_64.exe to 1) install pending changes and make
sure cygwin-doc and openssl are installed, 2) reinstall cygwin-doc, 3)
reinstall openssl.

Attached is the output from my short script.

Attached is the output from cygcheck -svr.

With 30+ years experience on *nix systems, the man page is my first
stop for usage details on any program.

I believe this problem should be directed to the attention of the
openssl package maintainer.

Thanks for your continued attention.

Did you not see this

<https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00097.html>