Re: cannot display man page for /bin/passwd

On Aug  6 21:21, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
>
> >> When I try to display the man page for /bin/passwd, the man page for
> >> the openssl passwd subcommand is displayed.
> >>
> >> It appears that both the package containing /bin/passwd, and the
> >> openssl package place the passwd.1.gz file in the /usr/share/man/man1
> >> directory, so that only the man page from the most recently installed
> >> package is displayed.
>
> > No, the Cygwin passwd tool has no man page.
>
> That's sad. Can we change it?

Would you like to take over maintainance of the cygwin-doc package?
It's orphaned and in desperate need of an active maintainer.

> > The documentation is only in the User's Guide:
> > https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#passwd
>
> While reading the page, I've noticed a discrepancy in options synopsis
> and further description of the tool operation.
> Namely, options --minage, --maxage parameter spelled as "DAYS", while down the
> text they are referred to as MINDAYS and MAXDAYS.
> I suggest changing the options description to match the text, as that it'll
> make more sense.

Good idea, fixed in CVS.

> Also, the paragraph "All operations affecting the current user" is missing a
> "$" sign in reference to environment variable LOGONSERVER.

No, that's deliberate at this point.

> The phrase "to enter a password which" is probably missing a comma.

Hmm, not sure.  The English language is pretty lazy in terms of
punctuation characters.

> Other question is relevance of a requirement "to run cygserver as a service
> under the LocalSystem account" for modern times.

That's ok.  The cygserver service typically runs as SYSTEM.

> Slightly unrelated question. I've noticed, that if a paragraph in source file
> have line break after a period, the page is rendered with two spaces between
> a period and first letter of next sentence, even though there's only one
> character (a linefeed) exists. No stray spaces, no CR's. Is this intended?

Yes, for the English language.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sentence_spacing#French_and_English_spacing

Thanks,
Corinna